Laurentis - a leader in Small Modular Reactors
Laurentis continues to be at the forefront of the Canadian nuclear industry as we work together to promote carbon-free, versatile SMRs as a key solution to meeting Canada's future energy needs (on and off-grid), while helping to meet climate change goals.
At the 2021 World Nuclear Exhibition in Paris, Ontario Power Generation (OPG), Laurentis's parent company, announced its technology selection for the Darlington New Nuclear Project (DNNP), positioning them as the leading SMR developer in the world.
Laurentis is currently providing services to a number of SMR clients including Canadian nuclear utilities, Canadian non-nuclear utilities, European utilities, European non-nuclear utilities, and Canadian government departments.
Laurentis SMR Areas of Support
As a leading service provider for small modular reactors, Laurentis is able to provide support in many areas including:
- Site Licensing and Environmental Assessment
- Regulatory Support for the Licensing Processing
- Project Planning including Cost and Schedule Preparation
- Feasibility Planning and Business Case Preparation to support Board/Government Approvals
- Establishment of Independent Oversight bodies to review Decision Making Prudency
- Waste management plans and strategies to support application process
- Decommissioning plans and strategies to support application process
- Owner's Engineer support, including:
- Vendor oversight on schedule, cost, and quality
- Contract management
- Construction oversight
- Vendor oversight for the development of Nuclear safety analysis and design basis
- Vendor oversight on the development of operational procedures and policies that comply with regulatory basis
Regulatory support for construction
Development of regulatory compliant infrastructure/programs to support operations
Development of maintenance programs and plans
Development of lifecycle management plans
Establishment of regulatory compliant inspection and maintenance programs
- Operational commissioning plans
- Operations training
- Operational expertise for commissioning
- Regulatory support for the available for service (AFS) process
- Start up and turnover planning
- Operations staff
- Outage planning support
- Operational operating experience (OPEX)
- Specialized maintenance and inspections during outages
- Component and performance engineering support (fleet-based approach)
- Operations training
- Operations engineering
Laurentis to collaborate with Fermi Ener...
Laurentis Energy Partners announced it will work with Estonian energy company Fermi Energia to support their development of small modular reactors (SM...Read more
Laurentis Energy Partners wins Owner's E...
Laurentis Energy Partners is pleased to announce a contract award to its subsidiary, Canadian Nuclear Partners (CNP), as Owner’s Engineer to support...Read more
Interested in learning more about our services?
If you have any questions about Laurentis's SMR service offerings or want to know more about how Laurentis can help your company succeed, please contact either:
James Lauritsen, Managing Director
Brad Greenland, Director, SMR Business Development and Operations
Jerry Piskorski, Senior Manager, Business Development
OPG's Small Modular Reactors
Laurentis Energy Partner’s parent company, Ontario Power Generation, announced in December 2021 that it will work together with GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy to deploy a BWRX-300 Small Modular Reactor (SMR) at the Darlington new nuclear site in Clarington, Ontario, the only site in Canada that is currently licenced for a new nuclear build. Learn more here.
OPG also previously announced a joint venture with Global First Power and Ultra Safe Nuclear Corp. to build, own, and operate a Micro Modular Reactor at the Chalk River Laboratories site. With the support of environmental, licensing, regulatory, nuclear safety, legal, and stakeholder relations experts at OPG, the project was able to accomplish a number of “firsts” in the Canadian nuclear industry – the first licence application submitted to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) for a SMR in Canada, and the first Environmental Assessment underway in Canada for a SMR.
To learn more about how OPG is leading the way in the advancement of SMR technology, click here.